Thursday, February 6, 2014

Building the butt ribs for the upper wing - 3

The trailing edge, which is the bobbed profile, has a reinforcing block glued and nailed to it. The block is 1/4" plywood.

Instead of trying to make the actual part I made a pattern from 1/8" plywood to see how well it would fit. It was an unnecessary step but it did work well. Once the pattern was made I just traced it to some 1/4" plywood and made 2 of them, one for each wing (right & left).

NOTE: I made the upper and lower surface of the 1/4" reinforcing plate a little fat so when it's glued it sticks past the actual butt rib pattern that was made earlier. I did this so once the entire butt rib was made I could could sand it to match the butt rib on the 12" sander making a perfect surface edge profile.

Click to enlarge




No comments:

Post a Comment